Search This Blog

Friday, March 27, 2009

Epigenetic Effects



People who have taken a course in cognitive science learn that humans have more than five senses. Besides touch we also have sensors for heat. What is less well know is that plants also sense heat and cold. They remember them though an epigenetic mechanism aptly called vernalization. In humans the mechanisms are more complex. Memories may be stored in the hypocampus, but the effects of oxitocin can mediate whether particular events are remembered or one has amnesia. It is in this peculiar way that hugs affect socialization. It seems strange that researchers need clinical trials injecting people with oxcitocin to figure this out. Most people never give me a hug, but I seem to remember most that do. My search as to what I should do about the stress I feel this week somehow led me to this stuff. Maybe I just need a hug from someone who is not angry with the world. I mercifully left out the stuff I found out about KAP1-mediated Epigenetic Repression.

No comments:

Post a Comment